After the exterior of the Chapel was complete, Mary Watts' amateur Terra Cotta Home Arts evening class was able to turn professional as the Compton Potters' Art's Guild.
The Guild became a limited company, Compton Pottery, run by George Aubertin and continued to produce works based on Mary Watts' designs long after her death in 1938. Aubertin’s clay covered hands were often seen on television in the 1950’s ‘interlude’ between programmes, as he gently drew the clay, shaping a pot at the wheel. No doubt many visitors will remember this. Compton pottery finally closed in 1956, sixty one years after Mary Watts's first clay-modeling class.
More than seventy villagers were involved in the production of the terracotta works that make up the Chapel. The details of these people can be seen HERE.